Monday, 30 April 2012
Saturday, 28 April 2012
All condemned; feel no shame; at the sound of Your Great Name
Every fear; has no place; at the sound of Your Great Name
The enemy; he has to leave; at the sound of Your Great Name
Jesus, worthy is the Lamb that was slain for us
Son of God and man you are high and lifted up; that all the world will praise Your Great Name
All the weak; find their strength; at the sound of Your Great Name
Hungry souls; receive grace; at the sound of Your Great Name
The fatherless; they find their rest; at the sound of Your Great Name
Sick are healed, and the dead are raised. At the sound of Your Great Name
Jesus, worthy is the Lamb; that was slain for us
Son of God and man; you are high and lifted up
that all the world will praise Your Great Name.
Your Great Name.
Redeemer, my Healer; Lord Almighty
My Savior; Defender; you are my King
Redeemer; my Healer; Lord Almighty
My Savior; Defender; you are my King
Jesus, the Name of Jesus, you are high and lifted up; that all the world will praise your Great Name.
Savior, Son of God and man; you are high and lifted up; all the world will praise Your Great Name. Your Great Name. Your Great Name.
Tuesday, 24 April 2012
Sunday, 22 April 2012
- You are not lovable
- You will never make it
- God has put you to one side because of sin
- You are dull
- People will only ever use you
- Happiness is a dream
- Your life has no purpose
- We are righteous
- We are free from guilt
- We are free from condemnation
- We are loved with an unconditional, everlasting love
- We are accepted
- We are God's workmanship, made perfect and holy
- Life has a purpose
Saturday, 21 April 2012
How sweet the sound
Now flowing down
From hands and feet
That were nailed to the tree
As Grace flows down and covers me
It covers me
It covers me
It covers me
And covers me
1. It means God through the New Covenant and through Christ accepts you and loves you and wants to bless you and wants to deal towards you with such kindness and such favour - not because of what you deserve and not because of what you merit but because of what Jesus deserved and merited for you. Grace means God’s riches to you at Christ’s expense. It means God will never stop loving you. He is always for you and He will never judge you or criticize you or disapprove of you. God is for you all the time!
2. Grace also means God’s empowering Presence in your life so that He can empower you by grace to do things you never thought you could do. With grace you can love people you never thought you could love. You can have attitudes that you never thought you could have and you can do signs and wonders - you can lay your hands on the sick and they can be healed and you can do things by grace that you never thought you could do. In grace!
Friday, 20 April 2012
Thursday, 19 April 2012
Throwing it down
Chucking it down
Raining so hard it’s bouncing of the pavement
Splashing off cars
And there you are caught out in it, walking home
So what do you do?
Are you a dash for the umbrella, type?
Or head for the nearest doorway or alleyway to take shelter and wait for it to pass.
Or do you take your jacket, pull it awkwardly over your head and run like an ostrich.
Perhaps you find the nearest piece of paper and vainly attempt to protect your head
You may just zip up your jacket and keep walking
Put up your hood and carry on regardless
And if you’re like my son,
Just enjoy every minute of getting wet.
My daughter Dani and I were caught in the rain and we just kept on walking,
Knowing that the car was parked just around the corner.
We got wet
But not that much
Just enough to make us smile,
Rain can be fun
But, it can be very irritating.
Different circumstance cause different reactions
For some it is the answer to prayer, for some it’s the reason to pray.
For others it’s a matter of life, for others a matter of survival
But for most of us
In the mundane, normality of every day life
It’s a matter of getting wet
Or staying dry.
Taking precautions if we know it’s going to rain
Take a look at the sky and see the clouds forming
Guarding ourselves against trouble
Everyday we can keep our hearts
By being drenched in a deluge of God’s word,
Mediating on all His grace has given us
And letting his Holy Spirit have free flow in our lives.
God has made it all available for us
Let’s go out in His rain and get soaked in His word.
Wednesday, 18 April 2012
Out of interested curiosity
I decided to take a look.
Whilst reading through numerous ‘blog posts’ I came across this comment posted by Brad Mcmullen.
I must confess I don’t know who Brad is!
Whilst I may not wholly agree with all the reasons, I thought that they were all very good and showed a great open heart.
So here are Brads: -
15 Reasons I Stayed in Church
1. Because leaving the church is apparently trendy, and I’m not trendy. I’m actually kind of a dork (just ask my wife).
2. Because the church is God’s design for spreading the good news to the world, and I want to be on board with God’s design.
3. Because the church is like Noah’s Ark: it’s stinky a lot of the time, but it’s the only boat we’ve got.
4. Because although blogging is way more cool, worship is way more important.
5. Because my gay friends inside the church need me.
6. Because staying gives my disciple-making efforts a feel of authenticity.
7. Because Facebook “friends” are no substitute for the real thing.
8. Because it can be as bad as everyone says, so if I don’t reform it, who will?
9. Because it’s not usually as bad as everyone says – not a racist, sexist, anti-intellectual country club, but a community of believers struggling to do their best for God.
10. Because I’m selfish and prideful, and no one helps me with that like the church.
11. Because so many others are leaving and in my mind I hear echoes of my mother’s bridge-jump question (if everyone else jumped off a bridge…).
12. Because I considered replicating my church’s food pantry, but I can’t see feeding 130 families every Monday afternoon in my basement
13. Because no one outside my church prays for me like Jean, or reads Scripture like Trae, or shows me how to follow Jesus like Mr. Pat.
14. Because it’s where I’m most likely to encounter the living God.
15. Because I promised I would… “According to the grace given to you, will you remain a faithful member of Christ’s holy church and serve as Christ’s representative in the world?” With God’s help I will.
Thank you Brad
They are certainly thought provoking
As Brad points out in number 3 – “Because the church is like Noah’s Ark: it’s stinky a lot of the time, but it’s the only boat we’ve got.”
And as most of my family and friends can testify
I am stinkier than most others.
Have you any thoughts?
What make you excited about church?
Friday, 13 April 2012
Do you realise that there is a fourth emergency service?
When I was put right by my eight year old daughter Dani.
Now Dani is obsessed with the sound of a siren
It only takes the distant echo of a police or ambulance alarm to get Dani rushing to the nearest window in the expectation of seeing a vehicle with flashing lights.
The other morning
Two ambulances thundered past our house
Setting the street ablaze with a tornado of sound and light.
She ran down the stairs
Opened the curtains
Then dashed out the front door
And watched them disappear into the distance
“Dad, come on let’s see what’s happened, I bet there’s an accident.”
Yesterday as I was driving us home she informed me,
“Dad, we should always let emergency cars out, if they want!”
“Okay,” I replied.
“We should let out,
I almost crashed, Taxis!!
“Taxis, why taxis”
Obviously at my ignorance
“Well, taxis might be carrying a Pop Star and the Pop star might be late for a show. And there might be people waiting for the show to start and they might get upset. So we should always let them out so the Pop star isn’t late and the people aren’t upset.”
I looked at her
There you are the fourth emergency service is taxis taking Pop stars to shows.
When disaster strikes
And the sirens start
Where do I run?
Do I run to my own efforts?
My own strength
My fail safe methods for dealing with problems
My own ability
Or do I run to God
Listen to the Holy Spirit inside of me
Everything I need God has provided through Christ
I just have to learn to turn to him
And all he has made available
It’s a journey
Little by little
Step by step.